Latest BlogsPEPRapeSexual AssaultSexual ViolenceSGBVSTIsWhat to expect when making a report to the police - Adult Rape Clinic

11/07/2018by admin0
  • You can make a report at any police station of your choice.
  • If the offence was perpetrated in an area outside the policing area of that station, the police will compile and refer the docket to the respective station after initial investigation.
  • Reports can be made at any time. No victim should be turned away by the police because of late reporting.
  • Early reporting (within 72hrs) will ensure availability of evidence that will assist during the trial.
  • After making a report, police will record statements from you and any other witnesses in private. A witness is the first person the victim tells about the rape or one who sees the rape being committed.
  • The police will refer you to the hospital for medical examination. The purpose of the examination is to link the accused to the offence in question. Where possible, police officers escort you to the hospital.
  • You should avoid taking a bath before medical examination. Taking a bath reduces the presence of evidence that may link the rapist to the offence.
  • The investigating officer may require you to make indications at the scene of the crime.
  • If the rapist is a stranger, you may be asked to take part in an identification parade or provide information that will enable profiling of the perpetrator.
  • Make sure you provide the investigating officer with as much information that may help identify the rapist. If you happen to remember any additional information that may assist in the apprehension of the rapist, you are free to inform the investigating officer.
  • Always retain the clothing that are soiled or torn during the rape process. These are good pieces of evidence.
  • Once investigations are complete, the case will be taken to court.
  • If you happen to move from your current address or you intend to go away for a while, make sure to inform the investigating officer.
  • The police may refer you to other stakeholders whom they network with for further support and management.
  • If you are not satisfied with the manner in which your case is being handled, make a formal complaint to the Officer-In-Charge of that police station or the Victim Friendly District Co-coordinator.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.